Google

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Write away

It’s Author’s Day. Mastii-kustii turns the spotlight on three Indian new-age writers

Advaita Kala, author of Almost Single

Chick-lit:
When I wrote the book, there wasn’t much talk about this genre. Now it’s seen as a popular one. I didn’t know I’d written chick-lit till someone told me so.
On men reading chick-lit:
I don’t know how many men would admit to reading it since it’s not considered macho, but I know many did.
The chick-lit formula:
I’ve not read Bridget Jones’s Diary, but have seen the film. In this genre, what really works are the characters. That’s the power of the genre. Yes, the issues discussed in all chick-lit may overlap since they all talk about what women face.
Being a best-seller:
The definition of a best-seller has changed. Earlier, it was 5,000 copies, now it’s much more. My book’s sold 30,000 copies.
The reading habit:
If you ask young people for the top three things they love doing, reading might not be among them. Tastes are changing. People are looking for books that are part of their own experience.
Amruta Patil, author of Kari, India’s first graphic novel by a woman

On graphic novels:
It’s a seductive medium. There’s a tightly wrought tale, there are pictures and the stories are getting more layered and diverse. Interest is bound to grow. Some days ago, I heard graphic novels being discussed at a Diwali party of well-heeled agriculturists in rural Punjab.
Graphic novels she likes:
I’ve enjoyed some of Neil Gaiman’s collaborative work with Dave McKean such as Mister Punch or the intriguing Signal to Noise and the spare prose of Paul Hornschemeier’s Mother Come Home, the drama of Frank Miller’s 300, the colour palette and quirkiness of The Rabbi’s Cat, the windy beauty of Melancholia.
Her next work:
Stories decide how they want to be told; some need just words, others want pictures. As an author, the best I can do is listen. My next book, 1999, promises to be relatively picture-free. ‘Relatively’ because the stray picture always seems to weave its way into the work! I wish there weren’t such a distinction between literary fiction and graphic fiction. No medium is inherently smart or inherently dumb.
Is pulp fiction the only thing that sells today?
It’s like a literary snack. And how bad can that be, so long as you aren’t snacking every day of the year!
The printed word in the eage:
There’s something a real bookshelf brings to your room that a thousand PDFs or saved bookmarks in your computer cannot. The intimacy and happiness that comes with holding a good book is unmatched. Unless we’re unscrupulous about replacing cut trees, or something else goes horribly wrong, the medium will linger awhile.
Chetan Bhagat, best-selling author of Five Point Someone, One Night @ The Call Center and Three Mistakes Of My Life

On his brand of books:
When you’re targetting a big readership, remember that people like simple books. One man’s pulp is another man’s great literature. My books are in the middle. I like to read books that are simply written. That’s why I like Hemingway and George Orwell.
Being an author in India:
Books are becoming more mainstream, but authors don’t get their due in India. Money and awareness about books are low. In India, one should write only if there’s a mad urge to do so. I don’t want to write in the west since the writing gets diluted. They may not want to read about the India I write about.
His success mantra:
I’m already a best-seller. Now it’s about making an impact. My books have been successful because the youth has connected with them. Critics who review these books are 60-year-olds. They get frustrated that my books are doing well. The critics have been so harsh on my books that my fans get defensive. Writing a Bollywood script:
I’m doing a script for a production house. But I haven’t started writing it. It’s going to be a full-on commercial film. I write for the masses and no apologies for that.
On Hello, the celluloid adaptation of One Night...:
I liked the movie and the BO collections have also been fairly good. But people say the book was better. It was my first attempt at Bollywood. Now I’ll try to have more control over the films that are adapted from my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Subscription

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

...